Over the Edge Preteen Camp FAQ

PLEASE NOTE: The content below is from years prior to 2020. Information specific to Summer 2021 and related to necessary changes regarding the current COVID-19 environment has yet to be finalized; therefore, it won’t be found here until a later date.

Can I visit camp?
  • In order to ensure the safety and security of our campers, Pineywoods enforces a NO-VISITOR POLICY DURING ALL SUMMER CAMPS. (effective 3/22/18)
  • The Pineywoods Board of Trustees felt it necessary that we implement this policy because of unpredictable violent events against innocents in our country and in our churches.
  • We have historically enjoyed a family-like atmosphere and could welcome anyone to campus; however, just as our schools and churches are tightening protocols and increasing security, we have to do the same.
  • Additionally in 2021, due to COVID-19 recommended guidelines for Texas camps, PASTORAL/MINISTERIAL GUESTS of attending churches will not be allowed.
Is the camp cost the same for both sponsors and students?

Yes, every registered person at camp is a camper and pays the stated camp cost for the session.

When I make reservations, are they held until the 1st day of camp?

No. Reservations only hold spots for your group until the registration deadline. At that time, unfilled reservations are automatically released.

Is the $50 deposit an additional cost?

No, it is a portion of the total camp cost. It is not an additional cost.

Will I lose the $50 deposit if my church group doesn’t fill up all of our reserved spots at the registration deadline?

Yes. As of 2020, the $50 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to the balance owed. It is forfeited when a reservation is not filled or when a church group cancels.

Are payments forfeited if someone decides not to come to camp?

The deposit is always non-refundable. The refund and forfeit amounts are dictated by the cancellation date. Refer to the refund schedule at the bottom of the registration page for the amounts ( Over the Edge Preteen Camp Registration).

What paperwork is required for each camper?

MEDICAL REGISTRATION in our online system is required for EVERY PERSON before coming to camp. There is no physical registration paperwork; however, any person bringing medications to camp will need to bring a Medication Form to camp with their medications. In addition, every adult (18 & older) must submit the required adult paperwork.

How does our group register?

When online medical registration opens, the registration link unique to your group will be emailed to the group leader. The leader must share the link with parents of minors, students 18 & older, and all other adults coming to camp.

With what device(s) can I register online?

A smartphone, a tablet, or a computer.

Who can submit the medical registration?
  1. Minors (age 17 & under) must be registered by their parent. Each parent must create his/her account with his/her information, not the minor’s information.
  2. Each adult (age 18 & older, including 18 year old students) must register him- or herself. He/she must create or log into his/her own account.
  3. NOTE: Spouses cannot register each other.
  4. NOTE: 18 year old students must register themselves.
  5. NOTE: Accounts cannot be shared.
As the group leader, how will I know who has/has not registered?
  1. You will know the real-time status of your group’s registration using the church roster/report.
  2. The church roster/report shows who is and who is not registered and the person who registered the participant.
  3. Church Roster/Report
    1. Click here to begin.
    2. Log in.
    3. Click the Select button next to your camp event.
    4. Click More Info.
    5. Click the Reports button.
    6. In the middle of the pop-up, click “Select Report…” to select the report for your group.
    7. Click Print (just below the report name).
    8. NOTE: You do not have to count each row to determine how many people have registered. Hover your mouse over the rows of data. A gray box will appear in the upper left corner telling you the number of rows (i.e. the number of participants).
What are the adult paperwork requirements?

By law all persons 18 and older attending retreats or summer camps lasting three or more nights must do the following:

  1. Submit printed copies of results from national criminal and national sex offender background checks for the current year.
  2. Complete a state-approved training and examination program on sexual abuse and child molestation and submit a valid certificate of completion.
  3. Provide a character and integrity reference (Pastor Reference).

Complete details and links to documents are provided at pineywoodscamp.com/requirements-for-adults/.

Can I just bring the required adult paperwork on the first day of camp?

No. The state Health Inspector scrutinizes our files and forms each time he/she inspects Pineywoods. Because the camp is subject to requirements by law, our staff has to review all of the paperwork in order to ensure we remain in compliance with the state’s youth camp rules. After the paperwork is reviewed by our staff, the group leader is notified if any portion of the requirements is not met. Requiring paperwork two weeks prior to camp gives us almost that much time to get missing forms and sometimes correct/replace paperwork.

I ran background checks for some of my sponsors for camp last year. Can I just use those this year?

No. The background checks must be for the current year. They must be run annually.

Background Check FAQ

To whom do we make checks payable?

Make checks payable to “OVER THE EDGE PRETEEN CAMP.”

Do you accept personal checks for camp payments?

No, we do not accept checks from individuals.

When does my church get a refund if campers drop out or if we inadvertently overpay for camp?

Refund checks are mailed to your church after both sessions of camp are concluded.

Will I lose the $50 deposit if my church cancels our reservations altogether?

Yes, the $50 per person deposit is non-refundable when a church chooses to cancel and not attend camp.

I have a camper that has to cancel and do not have a replacement for him/her, does he/she get a refund?

The refund and forfeit amounts are dictated by the cancellation date. Refer to the refund schedule at the bottom of the registration page for the amounts.

OTE Preteen Camp Registration

Can our church pick the dorms we stay in?

No. Pineywoods makes all lodging assignments based on numbers and cannot take requests for specific assignments.

Are there optional accommodations other than dorms?

No. During summer camp ALL STUDENTS AND SPONSORS are housed in dorm-style accommodations and grouped together by church.

Can we bring an RV and stay at Pineywoods while our child/children are at camp?

No. Only registered campers (sponsors, students, program leadership, and camp staff) are allowed to stay overnight during summer camp.

Will my group be in a dorm by ourselves?

Churches are grouped together in dorms unless a church’s girls or boys fill up a dorm. On average, the dorms sleep 20 each.

Can teens be sponsors or junior sponsors?

NO, BY STATE LAW ALL SPONSORS MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD. We do not have junior sponsors.

Can we switch sponsors in the middle of the week?

Yes. Sponsors can split the week if it is absolutely necessary. A fee of $15 is required for the addition of another person.

Can sponsors bring their younger children to camp?

No. Younger children cannot stay in the dorms with campers, and sponsors are required to stay in the dorms with their students.

When will we receive camp information and small group curriculum?

Go to otecamp.com for general camp information.  Go to pineywoodscamp.com/ote-registration for registration details.  The small group curriculum will be sent to your church contact person no later than three weeks before camp begins.

What is the Mega Challenge?

Each student will be given a packet of verses to memorize. They can pick and choose which verse(s) they want to work on. For each verse they say to their sponsor they can get Mega Challenge ticket(s). Verses are worth a certain number of tickets. Mega Challenge tickets are turned in to the Mega Challenge bucket on the stage. During the week, drawings take place and students can receive prizes for their tickets.

What is the Quiet Time?

Students are given a chance to take time out to do the student devotion in their student book for that day in their cabin. This is a great opportunity for the campers to learn how to have their own time with God. Sponsors will need to encourage their students to take time to do this and be in the cabin with them.

What are the responsibilities of adults (AKA Sponsors) at camp?

Adults/Sponsors who attend camp with their students are an integral part of the camp program. Sponsors lead their group and are active participants throughout the camp session. Sponsors maintain order in their group and make sure students follow rules and follow the schedule. Sponsors have the opportunity to invest in the lives of students and reflect Christ in every situation.

What happens at check-in on the first day of camp?

Check-in is just that, checking in your group. Expect the following:

  • Verify your numbers (total number, # females, # males)
  • Discuss all changes to your registration
  • Discuss late arrivals and/or early departures
  • Pay your camp balance
  • Turn in medications
  • Receive program materials and facility assignments
How do I organize medications for my group and when do I turn them in at camp?

Medications are turned in at check-in upon arrival at camp.  Go to pineywoodscamp.com/medications/ for complete details regarding medication rules and preparation.

A camper in my group needs to leave during camp. What is required for that to happen?

Pineywoods encourages campers to experience the entire camp session with their group, beginning to end, and to participate in all scheduled camp sessions/activities. Once at camp, no student is allowed to leave campus for any reason without written consent to leave from his/her parent or legal guardian.

  • A Student Check-Out Authorization form must be filed in the Camp Office prior to the expected departure, and it must specify who is authorized to pick up the student.
  • The form is required if a student has to leave for any reason prior to camp dismissal on the last day.
  • The form is required even if a student is simply leaving early separate from the group.
  • No one under the age of 21 can pick up a student from camp.
  • Boyfriends/Girlfriends, no matter their age, are not permitted to pick up a student.
  • No student will be released without the presentation of a photo ID by the person picking him/her up.