Requirements for Adults
Pineywoods is licensed and regulated by the Texas Department of State Health Services. The Youth Camp Safety and Health Act and the Youth Camp Rules governing all resident youth camps in the state of Texas mandates that all persons 18 and older attending retreats or summer camps lasting three or more nights must do the following:
- Submit printed copies of results from national criminal and national sex offender background checks for the current year.
- Complete a state-approved training and examination program on sexual abuse and child molestation and submit a valid certificate of completion.
- Provide a character and integrity reference.
Unlike churches that support and attend retreats and/or camps at Pineywoods, we are inspected by the State and must comply with regulations to maintain our camp license and to continue to operate and serve. We ask you to take every possible step to verify that the adults coming to camp are who they say that they are and that they are above reproach with our children and youth.
Any monetary fines imposed upon Pineywoods due to the lack of compliance by a particular church will be passed on to the errant church.
Required paperwork for all adults (including ministers) must be submitted to Pineywoods BEFORE assuming responsibilities at camp. Following are detailed instructions to comply:
- Perform and print a thorough NATIONAL criminal and NATIONAL sexual offender background check on each adult. Be certain to print both the page showing what the search is for and the search results page for each search conducted. Run both a separate criminal check and a sex offender check for each name used throughout his/her life.
- Background checks must be FOR THE CURRENT YEAR.
- This can easily be accomplished via the internet, but will cost a few dollars. Pineywoods uses http://www.publicdata.com to screen our own employees.
- Click here for FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS regarding background checks.
- Click here for PublicData.com Instructions.
- Have adults individually view the approved sexual abuse and child molestation awareness training video (bottom of page) or schedule a time for all of them to view it together. A printable Training Manual is also available to accompany the video. DVD’s are available upon request.
- Have each adult take the exam and return it for grading. A password-protected answer key is available for church leaders. Each person must score a minimum of 70% on the exam in order to serve at camp.
- Submit a Child Protection Training Certificate of Completion for each adult coming to camp. The training/certificate is good for two years, but Pineywoods encourages you to do it every year to keep the information, warning signs, and other protective measures at the forefront of every adult’s mind.
- Submit a completed Pastor Reference Form signed by the church pastor, youth minister, or other member of the ministerial staff.
- Keep the items below on file AT YOUR CHURCH. *****ALL DOCUMENTS ON FILE AT YOUR CHURCH MUST BE KEPT FOR A MINIMUM OF TWO YEARS AFTER THE ADULT HAS SERVED AT PINEYWOODS.*****
- The completed and graded exams.
- Copies of the criminal and sex offender background check results.
- Copies of the Child Protection Training Certificates of Completion.
- A copy of the Pastor Reference Form.
Remember these measures are required by state law for each adult coming to camp (including ministers). This program is required to ensure the safety and welfare of children and youth in today’s society. Please be thorough in your church’s compliance with these measures.